Sunday, March 9, 2008

I DON'T BELIEVE IT-10,000 BC

Why do I listen to my boyfriend? I should have learned by now whatever he claims as facts in the media world I should doubt first ask later. Once he told me who won the election even before all the votes were counted in. I was caucausing in my state and he demanded that I yell out in front of EVERYONE who won the primary. Now of course my heart soared with this info but a part of me doubted that I should scream it out to everyone. Thankfully I politely went to the head mistress or whatever the hell ya call the one's in charge of the thing and asked could I sound it off. She looked amused and said no its too soon to report anything. Of course later I found out that my boyfriend was completely wrong and I was spared the embarrasment of yelling out the wrong information. Now comes this. I told him about my reviews of this movie (which were all but negative) and he told me that it was a dud in the box office. Naturally I was in shock because the theater I went to was packed with people seeing the movie. He (know it all that he is) proclaims that down in the deep south its much cheaper for people to go see movies and we don't have anything better to do. As opposed to up north where prices are higher and according to his logic must have better things to do then to watch dumb movies. Oh yeah and they got bootlegs. Right. Because us southern folk only have time to pick food out of our teeth. Drink a couple of beers and try to figure out how we can get that in breeding thing popular again. While yall's high class northern folk just go shoppin at them prada stores and spend hundreds of dollars on things just to be cool and hip and oh so chic. Gag me. Now that we have established the stereotypes lets move on. Well as I begin to surf online, lookie what I found.


A MAMMOTH OPENING



10,000 BC" a mammoth at worldwide box officeSunday March 9 1:43 PM ET

"10,000 BC," a widely ridiculed prehistoric action movie boasting a menagerie of exotic beasts, trampled the competition at box offices around the world.
According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, the Warner Bros. Pictures release sold $61 million worth of tickets during its first weekend.
The North American contribution was $35.7 million from 3,410 theaters, an easy No. 1 ahead of fellow rookie "College Road Trip" with $14 million.


The North American opening was "right on target," said Dan Fellman, president of domestic theatrical distribution at the Time Warner Inc-owned studio. Pundits had expected an opening in the $30 million to $40 million range. The film, which Fellman said cost "slightly north" of $100 million to make, was almost unanimously ripped by critics. USA Today described it as a "bombastic bore" and The New York Times as "sublimely dunderheaded."
Newcomer Steven Strait stars as a mammoth hunter who battles a horde of slave-traders. Gargantuan birds and saber-tooth tigers add to the intrigue. The film was directed by Roland Emmerich, the German auteur behind such hits as "Independence Day" and "The Day After Tomorrow." "10,000 BC" also opened at No. 1 in 19 of 20 territories, picking up a total of $25.3 million. Top markets included Spain ($4.5 million) and Mexico ($3.8 million). It opens in Italy and the United Kingdom on Friday.
The Walt Disney Co broad comedy "College Road Trip," which also appalled critics, stars Martin Lawrence as the overprotective father of a college freshman played by Raven-Symone. The film played in 2,706 theaters across the United States and Canada.


Source:http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20080309/120509538100.html


Ok after reading the article I will cut my guy a litle slack. I think he meant that it was a dud by CRITICS as opposed to being a dud at the box office. So he was 50% wrong. Nevertheless what have we learned today kiddies. Bad taste in movies is ALL OVER the US not just in the dirty south. Take that Mr. R

No comments: