Thursday, March 13, 2008

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN REVIEW


Ok. That's it. I finally saw it. 3 am in th morning all the way through. The movie that has generated so much hype and praise and possibly even some drool. Yes I finally saw it. What are my thoughts on it? I think one word sums it up. Stupid....yeah I said it. I am going to go against the grain and say it is NOT the most important classic greatest most beautiful film of all time. (I am beginning to notice that I don't seem to enjoy what the mainstream enjoy in regards to movies, I hated Pirates of the Caribbean for chrissake). Was it a bad film? sometimes it felt like it was. Anytime there was a scene with Tommy Lee Jones I felt like zoning out. I know what he was saying in his little monologues was supposed to be deep and profound but I just found it idiotic and boring. I swear TMJ has played the same characters. There all tired and somehow inwardly depressed and wants to teach us the meaning of subltly. Gag me. The only parts I greatly enjoyed was either with the actor Josh Brolin but of course Javier Bardem who stole the show. He did deserve major kudos for his performance. My favorite scene has to be with him and the store clerk. His voice and facial expression while interacting with the clerk was by far the funniest thing I have ever scene. Not to mention my god the man has a deep voice. He served as a great villain and played the role very well. Josh Brolin also did a fantastic job with his character. Very believable as a weary yet tough texan. Now for the negatives. Characters that really served no purpose. Woody Harrelson ( I will always love him as Nathan from Will and Grace) and from what I guess was the accountant. Not to mention the plotholes of Woody's character and the suitcase full of money. The scene with Tommy and what seems to be Bardem's character hiding in the room but nothing comes out of it. Too many things that I felt I was supposed to fill in the blanks too that I thought was unnecessary. All in all from 1-10 I give it a five. Saved only by Javier and Josh's performance, but the movie overall left me empty. I still standby my lovely film There Will be Blood being the best of the two.

No comments: