Sunday, March 9, 2008

THE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD



Words cannot describe how in love I am with this movie. May God bless youtube. Because I would probably go broke going to the theater to keep seeing this. Not that I need that to go broke, but whatever. For the first time ever the oscars got it right. Daniel Day Lewis put in an magnificent performance as the horrible (yet lovable in my opinion) Daniel Plainview. Most of the movie is centered on Plainview and Daniel does a wonderful job protraying a complex man who's greed envelops him in the end. Its so rare these days to see an actor really own his craft.Mr Lewis is a rare gem. I hardly followed the actor's career (considering he only comes out of hiding every five years can ya blame me?), but when I finally saw him talk in an interview it was a shock to see how different he was from his characters. Right down to the british accent! I can't believe he's 50. He looks decades younger. Nevertheless the scene down below always gets me. You can laugh, cry, and shudder all at the same time. Its the one scene where plainview shows complete vulnerability. I gotta remind myself to see one left foot.

No comments: